The global Antifouling Coating Market is expected to reach USD 2.43 billion by 2022, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. Antifouling coatings are applied in order to increase the durability of hulls and underwater surfaces of marine vessels including passenger ships, cargoes, yachts and drilling rigs. Increasing number of merchant fleets on account of improvement of ship-based logistics in emerging markets including India, Brazil and Middle East countries is expected to drive market growth for coatings. Rising importance of Floating Production Storage Offloading (FPSO) in upstream oil & gas sector in light of increasing requirement for integrated compact systems in deep water offshore reserves is expected to increase the incorporation of antifouling paints.
Antifouling coatings demand in shipping vessels was 71.0 kilo tons in 2014. However, drilling rigs & production platforms are expected to witness significant gains over the forecast period on account of expansion of offshore natural gas production capacity in Brazil, Saudi Arabia, Oman, China and India.
Further key findings from the report suggest:
- Global antifouling coatings demand was 84.3 kilo tons in 2014 and is expected to exceed 130 kilo tons by 2022, growing at a CAGR of over 5.0% from 2015 to 2022.
- Demand in drilling rigs & production platforms exceeded 13 kilo tons in 2014. Positive offshore oil & gas industry outlook in Brazil, Nigeria, Angola, China and Malaysia in light of regulatory support to promote foreign investments at domestic level is expected to fuel coatings demand.
- Asia Pacific is expected to witness fastest growth, in terms of volume, at a CAGR of 6.0% from 2015 to 2022. The government of India announced incentives for increasing output of shipbuilding at a domestic level in November 2015, which is expected to open new markets.
- North America Antifouling Coating Market size was 2.36 kilo tons in 2014 and is expected to witness growth over the forecast period. Increasing production of unconventional sources such as shale gas and tight oil in the U.S. and Canada in light of technological innovation in hydraulic fracturing is expected to promote the importance of FPSO vessels and may fuel demand.
- Key manufacturers include PPG Industries, Jotun A/S, AkzoNobel N.V., Hemepl A/S, Sherwin Williams, Kansai Paints and Nippon Marine. Expansion of application sectors in major markets including China and Russia has forced manufacturers to establish production facilities in vicinity. Industry participants are expected to increase R&D expenditure for the development of eco-friendly products for increasing their presence and adhering to numerous environment friendly legislations implemented by regulatory bodies.
Free Sample Request: