U.S. Geosynthetic Clay Liner Market, by application, 2012 - 2022 (Million Square Meters)
- Global geosynthetic clay liners demand was 118.0 million square meters in 2014 and is expected to exceed 165.0 million square meters by 2022, growing at a CAGR of over 4% from 2015 to 2022.
- Roadways & civil construction is expected to witness growth at a CAGR of 5.7% from 2015 to 2022. The product is used as a protection barrier in construction of roads, railways, commercial and other infrastructure facilities including stadiums, airports and dockyard. In November 2014, GCLs were used in Toulouse-Blagnac Airport and adjacent Airbus-France facility where the new Airbus A-380 was built. It was reported that approximately 40,000 square meter of geosynthetic clay liner was used in construction of this airport.
- GCLs also find application in agriculture and aquaculture industries in light of preventing the water leakage. Positive farming industry outlook in Peru, Chile, Norway and China in light of abundance of fish species including tilapia is anticipated to increase market penetration in the near future.
- Asia Pacific is expected to witness significant growth and the market is estimated to reach 59.4 million square meters by 2022. In March 2015, the government of China announced funding of USD 1.1 trillion for infrastructure development of railways and roadways which will subsequently promote the importance of geosynthetic clay liners in the near future.
- Key market players include CETCO, GSE Holdings, Terrafix, HUESKER and Wall Tag. In May 2014, GSE Environmental, Inc. inaugurated a new manufacturing facility in Suzhou, China. The company will manufacture 20,000 metric tons of GSE products including geosynthetic clay liners. Increasing application of road construction along with easy raw material access in China is expected to force manufacturers to keep their production facilities in vicinity.