North America STD diagnostics market, by types, 2012-2022, (USD Billion)
- Chlamydia testing accounted for over 34% of the market in 2014. Chlamydia testing for sexually active women aged below 25 years is strictly recommended by the U.S Preventive Services Task Force (PSTF). Syphilis testing is estimated to witness lucrative growth over the forecast period. It is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 10% owing to increasing prevalence of syphilis infection globally.
- On the basis of test location, laboratory testing held the largest market share of over 63% in 2014 owing to the availability of cost effective diagnostic tests used for multiple STIs at a single location such as public health labs. Point of care on the other hand is anticipated to be the fastest growing segment over the forecast period owing to the owing to the introduction of CLIA waived tests
- Laboratory testing devices dominated the market in 2014 with revenue generation of over 67.0 billion. Immunochromatographic assays were most preferred devices for STD diagnosis in laboratory with revenue share of over 26%. Increasing technological advancements are estimated to enhance usage rates of thermal cyclers over the forecast period.
- Portable/bench top or rapid diagnostic kits are estimated to gain demand over the forecast period owing to features such as user-friendliness, increasing awareness pertaining to self testing, and fast results.
- North America held the largest share of the STD diagnostics market with revenue generation of over 32 billion in 2014. Introduction of technologically advanced diagnostics techniques such as immunochromatographic device by Chembio Diagnostics Systems Inc. is the major factor attributing for its largest market share.
- Asia Pacific region is estimated to witness significant growth over the forecast period owing to the presence of high amount of target population, rising awareness levels for STIs, and increasing government initiatives and rise in disposable income expenditure levels. Asia Pacific is expected to show double digit CAGR growth over the forecast period.
- Major companies of the STD diagnostics industry include Roche Holdings AG, Abbott Laboratories, Becton Dickinson and Company, Hologic Inc., Danaher Corporation, Affymetrix, BioMerieux, Cepheid Inc., Alere Inc., DiaSorin, and Orasure
- Licensing and partnership deal making activities in the molecular diagnostics sector are growing significantly in terms of value. New entrants such as life science research groups, financial investors, clinical laboratories, and medical technology players drive up the values.