U.S. sickle cell disease market, by therapy, 2012-2022, (USD Million)
- The market for Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) was the largest with revenue valued at over USD 2,290.0 million in 2014. Rising prevalence of hemoglobinopathies and presence of strong product pipeline for sickle cell anemia such as HQK-1001 and Luspatercept are growth promoting factors of this market.
- Genetic testing for diagnosis of sickle cell disorders is expected to witness lucrative growth over the forecast period. It is estimated to grow at a CAGR of around 7.0%. Increasing awareness levels among people coupled with government programs such as the National Sickle Cell Disease Control Program conducted by the WHO in Africa are anticipated to enhance the usage rates for diagnostic tests pertaining to SCD.
- Hydroxyurea was one of the dominating segments of the SCD therapy market owing to the presence of the FDA-approved drugs such as Droxia and Hydrea by Bristol Myers Squib. SCD. Thalassemia market holds an extensive product portfolio in pipeline and their expected commercialization is anticipated to drive market growth. For instance, The Ellis Lab is developing a gene therapy for SCD in collaboration with Dr. Victor Garcia
- Blood tests including cell blood count and iron studies are the widely used techniques for diagnosis of thalassemia. On the other hand, pre-implant genetic testing is estimated to grow at lucrative growth rate over 8.5% in the next six years owing to rising base of health conscious population and increasing healthcare expenditure.
- The market for blood transfusion was the largest with revenues valued at over USD 1,408.0 million in therapeutic segment owing to, high acceptance level of this treatment option and significant success rate. It is estimated that around 85% of infants below five years suffering from thalassemia die due to insufficient blood transfusion.
- North America dominated the overall hemoglobinopathies market in terms of revenue in 2014 at over USD 1,212.0 million. Growing prevalence of blood disorders, favorable government programs, and high level of awareness among healthcare professionals and patients for hemoglobinopathies-related genetic testing are factors attributing to the major share of this market.
- Asia Pacific market is expected to witness lucrative growth over the forecast period with a CAGR of over 10% owing to the presence of high unmet clinical needs, improving healthcare infrastructure, and rising economic levels. Moreover, introduction of low-cost diagnostic alternatives will enhance adoption rates for hemoglobinopathies diagnostics market.